Milestones in the history of the existing Buchlyvie Parish Church

The initial stages
It was on the 11th of December 1834 that several subscribers to the new Buchlyvie Chapel met for the purpose of selecting a site for its erection. They resolved that a meeting of subscribers would be held on 23rd of December to elect a group to “conduct” the erection and interim affairs of the Chapel. Among its tasks the committee was required to adopt measures for completing the subscriptions, for selecting the site and for receiving plans, specifications and estimates for the Chapel, and any other business connected with the proposal. The clerk was instructed to advertise to seek offers of ground for erecting the Chapel.
By March 1835 subscriptions upward of £350 had been obtained and further subscriptions were being pursued. In the same month it was agreed that Mr Stirling an architect from Dunblane be applied to for plans and specifications for the proposed church, which he had agreed to furnish Gratis.

The site is chosen
Mr Stirling and Mr McFarland (contractor) met with the interim committee in April 1835 to inspect the different sites. The three that were fixed on being:
“that corner the property of James McLachlan and James Gilfillan”
“the old tan work the property of Mr Risk” and
“a piece of ground belonging to Robert Stewart”.
On the 23rd April 1835 a meeting decided that the site offered by Mr Risk should be chosen.

Plans and estimates
Mr Stirling submitted a plan for the new church to contain “350 sitters” and this was unanimously approved.
Estimates for the work were sought to be received by June 1835.
In June a further meeting decided to accept the estimates submitted by Alex Ferguson, William Thomson, James Nicol and Thomas Henderson amounting to £310 for completing the work. This was to be paid in four instalments viz:
“when the soles of the windows are laid”
“when the walls are ready for the roof and the timber seasoned for different purpose”
“when the church is plastered and the gallery floors are laid” an finally
“when the whole work is completed and taken off the contractor’s hand”.
Mr Hutton of Stirling drew up a contract and Mr Robert Stewart of Buchlyvie was employed by the committee to superintend the progress and performance of the work.

Completion and opening
On 21st December 1835 the keys of the church were received by the committee and plans were made for the opening of the church for worship on Sunday 3rd January 1836. On which occasion the Reverend Anderson of Kippen and the Reverend Lochore of Drymen opened the church for public worship.
The Reverend Lochore preached from Genisis chapter 28 verse 7, and the Reverend Anderson from Psalm 15 verse 16. The collection taken on behalf of funds for the new church raised £6..4s..9½d.

Final stages
A month later in February a statement of the financial position was made to the committee. It stood as below:
Income
 
     Amount of subscriptions ascertained 
£530..  9s..2d 
     Amount of collections ascertained        £  32..15s..1½d
     Total
£563..  4s..3½d
Expenditure
 
     Price of ground and old materials 
£180..  0s..  0d
     Cost of erection             
£394..15s..  8d
     Other expenses £  16..  5s    3d
     Total       
£591..00s..11d
A deficit of
£  27..16s..  7½d

The Committee of Church Extension in Edinburgh had offered £50 to be paid when “local exertions” had been realised so as to “leave the church unencumbered with debt”, and this was now requested.
The boundaries of the new Parish were fixed by a joint committee from the respective Presbyteries and a constitution for the church and parish of Buchlyvie was drawn up.
After acceptance of the constitution by the General Assembly a meeting was held in August for the election of twelve Managers.